Guest Services Associate (on-call)
Guest Services On-call Position
The Guest Services Associate is responsible for providing exceptional visitor service and completing sales in accordance with established department and museum standards. As a front line employee, a person in this position must be friendly and approachable at all times, knowledgeable about the museum and upcoming events, and focused on meeting and exceeding visitor expectations. This position reports to the guest services manager and is part of the Business Development group.
- Provide excellent visitor service and work within given authority to go above and beyond visitor expectations; meet or exceed service targets.
- Greet and assist all museum visitors; effectively handle questions, sales, service, and payments for a multitude of museum programs and third party products in accordance with established museum policies and procedures.
- Effectively operate ticketing system in accordance with established procedures.
- Use initiative and enthusiasm to create membership up-sells and sale of ticket add-ons such as the Tactile Dome, museum tours, etc.
- Prevent unpaid entry at established access points.
- Maintain appearance and functionality of visitor queues, ticketing areas, and related spaces.
- Be knowledgeable about the museum, its history, programs, and special events and effectively communicate this information to visitors.
- Assist visitors using ticketing kiosks; troubleshoot technical issues and report unresolved issues to lead staff immediately.
- Facilitate internal communication, as needed, with Operations, Custodians, “It” Person, First Aid, etc.
- Provide assistance to visitors who have been separated from their party—work with Security and other floor staff to reunite the visitor with their group.
- Provide back-up basic First Aid for minor injuries (cuts and bruises, etc.).
- Represents the Exploratorium in a professional manner at all times including adherence to department standards.
- Coordinate wheelchair loans to museum visitors.
- Perform routine office tasks as needed (e.g. separating coupons, filing, copying, etc.)
- Work extended schedule during peak periods as needed.
- Perform additional duties as required.
- Six months cashier or other customer service experience required.
- High School Diploma or GED certificate required.
- Math and English proficiency required; bilingual skills an asset (Spanish or Cantonese a plus)
- Must be available to work shifts that include weekend, evening and holiday hours.
- Demonstrated commitment to providing exceptional customer service; service oriented with a visitor comes first mentality.
- Possesses a friendly, outgoing, positive and enthusiastic attitude.
- Ability to be professional and courteous in all interactions with general public, educational community, museum staff, and professional guests; comfortable interacting with senior management, high level donors, and all other members of our diverse community.
- Able to exercise good judgment while working independently and collaboratively; works well in a team environment.
- Able to work in a noisy and sometimes chaotic environment and be flexible under a variety of circumstances.
- Reliable and a self-starter; person with initiative.
- Punctual, neat and accurate in work habits; precise and detail-oriented.
- Excellent telephone, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Computer proficiency required; Excel experience preferred.
- Able to move from place to place which may include standing and/or walking for extended periods of time; lift and carry up to 75 pounds short distances.
- Able to use general office equipment and perform standard office functions, such as filing, faxing, and copying.
How to Apply
This is an on-call position that does not include benefits. Scheduling and hours may vary. No phone calls, please.
Please refer to our Application Procedures for instructions when sending your resume and cover letter.
The Exploratorium is committed to a diverse workforce.