Membership Sales Consultant (On-Call)
The Sales Consultant reports to the Membership Manager, and is responsible for providing high-level customer service by promoting memberships, completing membership sales and providing assistance to current and prospective members and visitors.
- Promote and sell memberships using a variety of genuine and sincere approaches, which demonstrates an analysis of potential members’ needs.
- Actively approach and advise patrons in order to increase Membership sales.
- Answer Membership questions and provide information regarding the Exploratorium using brochures, press releases, and other knowledge. Be knowledgeable about museum events, activities and exhibitions as well as all Member Events and Members only programs and offers.
- Review Membership information and updates and become familiar with the day’s events and activities by attending the morning meeting before the museum opens for the day and by reading museum publications such as the quarterly member publication.
- Use initiative and enthusiasm to greet, direct, and engage visitors in a friendly and helpful manner.
- Check in Exploratorium visitors including but now limited to; members, special museum visitors, business appointments, and guests of staff, as needed.
- Provide information for Members and visitors about the local area including, transportation options such as bus, taxi, BART and MUNI directions as well as general tourist information when possible.
- Work at the Membership sales points, answering questions and checking in Members during evening events on an on-call basis.
- Communicate problems and suggestions to the Membership Managers in a timely manner.
- Maintain organization of Membership materials and report when inventory is running low.
- Communicate weekly with the Membership Managers to keep updated on all Membership policies and procedures.
- Assist Membership and Guest Services staff as needed.
- High School or GED, and six months experience in a customer service related environment
- Interested in the museum environment; supportive of museum mission statement
- Friendly, outgoing; positive and enthusiastic attitude
- Knowledge of San Francisco geography, bus system, and tourist attractions extremely helpful
- Able to listen to and communicate effectively with co-workers, volunteers, supervisors, other museum staff, the educational community, and the visiting public
- Able to be polite and helpful to visitors for extended periods of time
- Able to work effectively in a team; punctual, reliable and diplomatic
- Proficient in English; bilingual skills an asset
- Proven sales abilities an asset
- Able to work in a chaotic environment and be flexible under a variety of circumstances; diplomatic and decisive
How to Apply:
This is an on-call union position that pays $14.78/hr.
No phone calls, please.
Please refer to our Application Procedures for instructions when sending your resume and cover letter.
The Exploratorium is committed to a diverse workforce.