Kids’ Birthday Parties
Celebrate Your Child’s Birthday at the Exploratorium
Have your special celebration among the hundreds of hands-on exhibits at the Exploratorium. Parties are available on Saturdays and Sundays at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.
We recommend booking your party at least six weeks in advance; spaces fill up quickly! Birthday parties are a benefit exclusively for Exploratorium Members. If you'd like to become a Member, you can do so here.
Celebrate your special day in our party room for up to two hours with an exciting hands-on activity led by an enthusiastic birthday party coordinator. Afterwards, you and your guests are free to stay and play in the Exploratorium for as long as you like (note that the museum closes at 5:00 p.m.). Themed party packages include tablecloths, plates, forks, napkins, and cups. You are welcome to bring food, cake, and games to share with your party.
Each themed party package includes twenty guests (the birthday party family, all guests, and adult chaperones) and costs $500. Additional guests can be added at a rate of $20 per person. The maximum room occupancy is 35 guests.
Choose from our exciting themes:
Colors and Rainbows
- Ideal for very young children ages 4+.
- Learn about rainbows.
- Make prism light catchers to hang in windows.
- Paint on a large wall hanging that has been pre-drawn; the birthday girl or boy gets to take the mural home.
- Make amazing slimes like Gak and Ooblek. Experiment to decide if they are solids or liquids!
- Ideal for very young children as well as older children ages 4+.
- Learn about composting.
- Play with our adorable pet snails; feed them and make obstacle courses and towns for them.
The Five Senses
- Ideal for children ages 7+.
- Perform taste observations: See how plugging your nose or closing your eyes affects the taste of different candies.
- Explore objects with your eyes closed to see if you can guess what they are.
- Enjoy a cake walk version of musical chairs: Numbered squares are laid out on a path. Walk around the path in time to music, which plays then stops. A number is called out, and the person standing on the square with that number wins a prize.
- Explore the Tactile Dome. (Visiting theTactile Dome is dependent on availability and is an additional fee. Please ask for details when booking.)
- Ideal for children ages 7+ and fun for adults as well.
- Watch your birthday facilitator do card tricks and then learn them yourself.
- Make magic flip sticks.
- Make shrink art, the incredible shrinking plastic artwork, and take it home with you.
You can add any of these exciting options to your birthday party or special occasion for an additional fee:
- The Tactile Dome (Tactile Dome visits on dependent on availability, which is often limited; please call in advance to reserve a visit.)
- Gift bags of goodies from the Exploratorium Store
- Private tours of the museum
To get started booking your birthday party, please call the Reservations line at (415) 528-4444, or e-mail us at email@example.com.