Exploratorium Facts & Figures
« About the Museum
Fostering a Community of Learners—Reaching More Than 38 Million Annually
- 550,000 people visit the Exploratorium each year, including 130,000 students and teachers.
- Online since 1993, our Web site has more than 28 million visitors a year.
- Thousands view our 30+ Webcasts filmed live from locations around the globe such as Antarctica and Chichen Itza.
- 2006 Webby People’s Voice Award for our Web site.
- Over 5,000 teachers and professional developers in 47 states have participated in our professional development programs. These teachers enrich the lives of more than 600,000 students a year.
- 12,000 Member families and individuals participate in informal learning activities.
- 120 high school students are hired and trained as Explainers, the museum’s docents.
- More than 20 million people see Exploratorium-designed exhibits displayed at science centers in 31 countries around the world.
- Outstanding artists, scientists, and educators help us shape the Exploratorium through the Osher Fellowship program.
- One of America’s 12 highest impact nonprofits—and the only museum and the only West Coast organization—according to the book Forces for Good: The Six Practices of High Impact Nonprofits.