Accessibility for Visitors with Disabilities
Visitors with disabilities can visit the museum at a reduced rate. Discounts are provided for both individual admissions and groups. Groups are requested to make a reservation before their visit by calling (415) 528-4444 Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
The Exploratorium is accessible by car or by public transportation. There is a white-curbed loading zone on the Embarcadero just south of the museum for dropping off and picking up visitors. There are nearby parking lots as well as some handicapped parking spaces on the streets surrounding Pier 15 (visitors must have a valid handicapped parking placard or license plate to park there). For information about bus accessibility within San Francisco, visit Muni, or call (415) 701-2311. To learn about accessibility on trains going into or out of San Francisco, visit BART, or call (415) 989-2278.
Service animals are welcome inside the Exploratorium.
Accessibility and Amenities
- All exhibition spaces, the Exploratorium stores, dining areas, and all public restrooms are wheelchair accessible.
- A limited number of wheelchairs are available for loan, free of charge, at the Info Desk. Visitors need to leave an I.D. as a deposit when borrowing a wheelchair.
- First Aid and Lost & Found are located at the Info Desk.
- Benches are located throughout the Exploratorium.
- If you need assistance operating an exhibit or have any questions while visiting the museum, please ask any Explainer (a museum guide wearing a bright orange vest).
The Tactile Dome provides a unique perceptual experience as you travel through a series of various textures in total darkness. A portion of the Tactile Dome is wheelchair accessible. Traversing the entire exhibit requires the ability to crawl, climb, and slide. Visitors with adequate upper-body strength to perform those moves are welcome to enjoy the full experience. Sign language interpreters or other necessary attendants are admitted free of charge, but advance notice must be given if they accompany a party.
The Kanbar Forum
A wheelchair lift and assistive listening systems are both available in the Kanbar Forum.