Make a Field Trip Reservation
School Field Trips to the Exploratorium at Pier 15 begin October 1, 2013, but a few spaces are available during the week of September 24 through 27. For details, call reservations at (415) 528-4444.
To reserve by phone, the lead teacher should call (415) 528-4444. The reservations office is open seven days a week beginning May 15, 2013. Hours are 9:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m. Friday–Tuesday, and 9:30 a.m.–9:30 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday. Please note that we don't accept reservations for free days, and we do not accept cash payments for field trips; we are happy to accept check or credit card payments.
Alternatively, you can fill out the online Field Trip Request Form, and an Exploratorium staff member will contact the lead teacher to complete the trip-planning process.
The 2013–14 season for School Field Trips is October 1 through June 13. Field trip days are Tuesdays–Fridays, starting at 10:00 a.m. If you’re planning to arrive outside of field trip hours, please make a Group reservation by calling (415) 528-4444 and choose option 5 for reservations.
Field Trip Pricing
|Youth (Grades K–12)||$7.50|
|Children (3 or younger)||Free|
|Teachers/Adults||1 admitted free per 10 youth|
|Title I Schools||See below**|
NEW! If you plan to reserve school buses or charter buses, please do so after making your field trip reservation to ensure that your preferred time slots are available. School bus and charter bus arrival and departure times must be carefully coordinated so they don’t interrupt traffic flow on the Embarcadero.
|School Bus/Charter Bus||Public Transit/Car|
|10:00 a.m.||12:30 p.m.||10:00 a.m.||Any time up to 3:00 p.m.|
|10:30 a.m.||1:00 p.m.||10:30 a.m.||Any time up to 3:00 p.m.|
|11:00 a.m.||1:30 p.m.||11:00 a.m.||Any time up to 3:00 p.m.|
|11:30 a.m.||2:00 p.m.||11:30 a.m.||Any time up to 3:00 p.m.|
|Noon||2:30 p.m.||Noon||Any time up to 3:00 p.m.|
We require that you bring a minimum of one chaperone for every ten youths or children. Please keep in mind that, for the duration of your visit, the chaperones are responsible for the behavior of the students they are accompanying. Although the museum is self-guided, it is a good idea for chaperones to stay with their students, as teacher and chaperone involvement can greatly improve the students’ experiences. Download our chaperone tips in English, Spanish, or Chinese.
Please provide visible labels with the name of the school (not individual names) for everyone in your group, including adults. In this way, both the Exploratorium and the school can identify the members of your group without compromising the safety of individuals.
- We accept the following forms of payment for group and field trip reservations: checks, traveler’s checks, MasterCard, VISA, Discover, and American Express.
- A deposit in the amount of $50 or the total amount due (whichever amount is less) is due at the time of booking for us to hold your requested date and time of arrival. This deposit will be applied to your total amount due, which must be paid in full prior to arrival. Deposits are nonrefundable if a reservation is cancelled within two weeks of the intended arrival date.
- Payments (apart from the deposit) must be made in one lump sum even if you are paying for several classes. If you would like to pay separately for different classes, please make separate reservations. Group members paying separately are not eligible for group pricing and will be charged the general admission rates.
- Before checking in, have ready an exact head count of your students and accompanying adults, so that we charge you the correct amount. For example, you will need to have ready the total number of youth (grades K–12), children (5 or younger), and adults in your entire group.
- Plan to bring a minimum of one chaperone for every ten youths or children. All additional adults will be admitted at a rate of $10.00 each (this rate is only available for adults who are paid for as part of the group, in one lump sum).
- As of June 1, 2012, we no longer accept purchase orders as a form of payment. Also, we cannot accept electronic fund transfers (EFTs).
While Members receive complimentary year-round general admission, these admission privileges do not extend to the Field Trip program, which is separately funded. Please include any Members in your overall head count.
Title I schools receive free admission for school field trips, subject to availability. Please ask about this program when you make your reservation. This program is sponsored by PG&E.