|This section covers what equipment and
materials will be needed for building your own Light Island. This version
of the Light Island is a durable model requiring power tools to build.
- Table saw or hand saw
- Saber saw (portable jigsaw)
- Small, circular handheld saw (can also cut the wood disk if a band
saw is not available)
- Drill with 7/16", 1/8", and 1" bits
- Screwdrivers (Philips head and standard slotted head)
- Wire cutter/stripper
- Safety glasses
- Large C-clamp
- X-Acto blade
- Thin black marker
- Tubes: Burke or Sono Tube (10" diameter). These tubes are normally
used for concrete construction and are sometimes sold only in 10-foot lengths.
You will need a 9" length. They cost about $2 per foot.
- Sandpaper (medium grade)
- 3/4" plywood for circular disk (at least 12" by 12")
- Heavy-duty 8-foot electrical cord with switch and plug attached
- 4 (3/4") #6 pan head sheet-metal screws
- 3 (1/2") #6 pan head sheet-metal screws
- 1 wall bracket bolt and hex nut (1/2", 6/32" diameter)
- 1 standard porcelain lamp fixture
- 8 brass fasteners (#4)
- 2 plastic cord fasteners (P-straps)
- 200-watt clear bulb with an axial filament
- Black construction paper
- Rubber cement
- Colored gels: We recommend #27 Medium Red, Roscolene #866 Dark Urban
Blue, and Lee #139 Primary Green. These gels are available at:
| Phoebus Co., Inc.
2800 Third St.
San Francisco, CA 94107
|| Stagecraft Studios|
1854 Alcatraz Ave.
Berkeley, CA 94073
Pier 15, San Francisco, CA 94111