San Francisco, CA 94111
Within San Francisco
- Muni’s F Market streetcar stops in front of the Exploratorium at Embarcadero and Green Street.
- Muni bus lines 2, 6, 14, 21, 31, and metro rail lines J, K, L, M, T, N stop within walking distance. Bus lines 1, 10, 12, 41, and 38 also stop in the vicinity.
- Embarcadero BART, Muni stations, and ferry terminals at the Ferry Building are all a 10- to 15-minute walk away.
From the East Bay
- The Embarcadero BART station is a 10- to 15-minute walk away.
- Numerous AC Transit lines terminate at the Transbay Temporary Terminal, a 20-minute walk away.
- The San Francisco Bay Ferry departs from Alameda Main Street, Harbor Bay, and Jack London Square in Oakland and arrives at the Ferry Building, a 10-minute walk away.
From the North Bay
- Golden Gate Transit bus lines 10, 70, 80, 101, and 101x terminate at the Transbay Temporary Terminal, a 20-minute walk away.
- Golden Gate Ferry offers ferry service from Larkspur and Sausalito and arrives at the Ferry Building, a 10-minute walk away.
- Blue and Gold Fleet offers ferry service from Tiburon and Sausalito and arrives at the Ferry Building, a 10-minute walk away.
- The San Francisco Bay Ferry provides service from Vallejo and arrives at the Ferry Building, a 10-minute walk away.
From the Peninsula and South Bay
- All BART lines stop at the Embarcadero Station, a 10- to 15-minute walk north along the Embarcadero to Pier 15.
- Take Caltrain to the San Francisco station at Fourth and King streets, then transfer to Muni Metro Lines N or T. Exit at Embarcadero station, a 10- to 15-minute walk from the Exploratorium.
- The SamTrans routes 391 (weekday rush-hour only) or KX and 292 (daily) to the Temporary Transbay Terminal, a 20-minute walk away.
- The San Francisco Bay Ferry departs from the South San Francisco/Oyster Point ferry terminal (Wednesdays and Fridays only) and arrives at the Ferry Building, a 10-minute walk away.
Discounted, Validated* Parking
|Embarcadero Center||1,2,3 and 4 Embarcadero Center
(10-15 minute walk)
|$10 flat fee
|Levi's Plaza Garage||1453 Sansome St
(10-15 minute walk)
|$10 for up to four hours
* To get discounted rates, you must have your parking ticket validated by the Exploratorium at the Information Desk with proof of same-day ticket purchase. If you're a member, you can validate your ticket by showing a current membership card at the Information Desk.
Other Nearby Parking
|Pacific Park Management||847 Front Street (@ Vallejo)||directions|
|Priority Parking||1011 Front St (@ Green)||directions|
|Public Parking||50 Broadway (Off Embarcadero)||directions|
|Public Parking||735 Davis (@ Broadway)||directions|
|Pacific Park Management||90 Broadway (@ Front)||directions|
|Hornblower Landing||Pier 3 (on Embarcadero)||directions|
|Peninsula Parking||244 Pacific Avenue (@ Battery)||directions|
|Public Parking||955 Sansome (@ Vallejo)||directions|
Lots are not owned or operated by the Exploratorium. All parking is subject to availability.
Metered parking is available along the Embarcadero and on side streets.
There is a white-curbed loading zone on the Embarcadero just south of the museum where you can drop people off or pick them up.
There are ample public bike racks on site as well as Public Bike Work Stations for a quick fix on the South apron of Pier 15 and in front of Pier 17.
San Francisco Bike Map (pdf)