Fireworks may be a really fun way to celebrate the Fourth of July, but we know they are more than a little dangerous. The solution? Grab a friend and make your own liquid fireworks with this simple and safe alternative. It’s time to celebrate with science!
Fireworks in a bottle! Make it at home.Posted by Exploratorium on Wednesday, July 1, 2015
Large, wide-mouthed jar
- Pour approximately a half-cup of cooking oil into the small jar.
- Add about ten droplets of food coloring to the oil. Use multiple colors and be careful not to overdo it!
- Whisk the food coloring and oil mixture with a fork until the droplets are very small.
- Fill the large jar partway with water.
- Pour the oil mixture into the water.
- Be patient and watch what unfolds.