Once again I tried embedding LEDs in glue sticks to create an eerily diffuse quality of light. These two paintings were made with a red and white light embedded in a spinning glue stick that was held straight toward the camera in the first photo and oriented sideways in the other.
One of the challenges we've encountered is that the two motors we've tried so far are either super fast or super slow. So I set up a few lights on a cricket computer motor which I thought might spin at an intermediate speed. It worked pretty well and the motor and battery also all fit together to a make a more compact package then some of the more unwieldy hobby motor setups.
On Friday, Sebastian and I tried some experiments with a large lazy susan. Combining the rotation of the surface with the spinning of motors made for light traces that showed compound motion and cycloid patterns.
We"ll do some more experiments with light painting and tool-making this week as we continue to prepare for open make event.