The Exploratorium Explainer team has begun a new program called “STARS” (Striving for Trans Inclusion and Anti-Racism in Science Learning). This program builds on the work of the Explainer program: youth and workforce development through transformative learning practices.
The vision of the STARS program is to expand inclusion, belonging, and relevance in informal science learning with a focus on addressing inequities based on gender, sexuality, and race. STARS’ innovative educational offerings provide Exploratorium audiences with experiences that center excluded identities in STEAM and education fields.
STARS Transitional-Aged Youth (TAY) Cohort
The 2021 STARS internship cohort was a group of 13 transitional-aged youth (TAY) that centered trans and queer people and people of color. The STARS cohort collaborated with other Exploratorium teams to produce educational content to reach the STARS program goals.
Additionally, program interns engaged in both collaborative workforce development and STEAM and education career exposure, built confidence and connection for self-efficacy, practiced science communication, and developed and implemented learning experiences.
2021 STARS Offerings
During the pandemic-related closure at the Exploratorium, the STARS program reached our communities through virtual engagement. In collaboration with the Exploratorium Public Programs team STARS developed the following virtual public programs for After Dark Online:
In an effort to advance the inclusion of scientists with marginalized identities, increase public understanding of gender, and broaden the museum field, STARS program work was featured in:
- Transgender Day of Visibility Exploratorium social media posts: Trans Hero, Trans Héroes (en español), and Trans-friendly health care resources
- June Pride social media posts
- Museum Educator Roundtable blog (June 2021): Towards Museum Inclusion: Reflections from Exploratorium STARS Internship Program
- Exploratorium blog (June 2021): Towards Museum Inclusion: Reflections from the STARS Internship Program
- Various media on Pride After Dark Online: SFPride Podcast, Hoodline, KQED, SF Chronicle Datebook, and Secret San Francisco: Museums With Pride
- The Bay Area Reporter: LGBTQ interns make an impact on San Francisco science museum
- Session at Gender Spectrum Conference
Activities for Museum Visitors
The 2021 STARS program interns created facilitator training and activities for museum visitors focused on inclusion and access.
Email STARS Manager Sal Alper firstname.lastname@example.org